I don't know why, but the organic fresh fruits and vegetables have more flavor this summer than I can ever remember. What a treat.
Here are 6 ways to enjoy them.
1. Step up your regular organic tossed salad with any or all of the below. Switch them around for variety:
Fresh greens and lettuces from the farmers market, food stands and your own garden.
Add heirloom tomatoes, celery, fresh sprouts, scallions, and avocados
Add blueberries, peaches, raspberries, black berries, kiwi, pineapple in any combination with the greens.
2. Lightly brush and grill red, orange and purple peppers, asparagus, zucchini and yellow squash or your favorite vegetables with a favorite high heat flavored oil (hemp seed, grapeseed or coconut). And, Lightly brush and grill sliced sweet potatoes, golden beets, peaches and or pineapple (pineapple not likely found at the food stand or market).
3. Use lettuce, collard and chard for burritos. Fill with your favorite vegetables, nuts and seeds mixture or vegetable seeds and meat or fish mixture with seasoning.
4. My favorite pick me up, and for hydration, is my morning green juice first thing in the morning usually from the base of cucumbers, celery, greens and fruits. I use the left over pulp to make vegetable quinoa burgers.
5. A greens and fruit smoothie an hour or so after the green juice is a great way to keep you satiated until lunch, and as an afternoon snack due to all of the fiber. These are especially delicious with the luscious increase of flavor of the fresh summer fruits and vegetables.
6. Delectable desserts made with the fresh fruits and herbs. The imagination is endless here. Tarts, pies, bars, parfaits fruit salad, ice cream, ices and more.
The markets and farm stands are so welcoming with all of their fresh bounty. What a delight when your plate and table become the same.
The more rainbows of colors you eat ,that are more readily available during summer give your body a boost, a boost of energy, and a boost of immune support. Some help to lower blood sugar levels and most are filled with antioxidants to keep oxidative damage and cancer at bay, plus so much more. I've always been fascinated and loved rainbows. This is another type of rainbow that fascinates me, and possibly you too.
The more Organic fresh vegetables and fruits you eat during the summer sets you up for improved health as you obtain all of the vital nutrients your body requires, the vitamins and minerals not found in high quantities in the non-organic varieties while also giving more support to your local organic farmers.
Check the Environmental Working Groups Dirty and Clean list of non-organic fruits and vegetables to help you choose some from the list of clean if your budget requires cutting back on your food costs.
Some of my favorite organic summer fruits and vegetables are
heirloom tomatoes, fresh herbs, kale, rainbow chard, cucumbers, corn, fresh peas, spinach (though spinach is now finished until August) blueberries raspberries, strawberries, dark cherries and peaches and some hydrating watermelon.
I would love to hear about all of your favorites and any short recipe ideas that you have too. I'm looking forward to reading your shares in the comments below
I help ill career moms overcome degenerative diseases
specifically diabetes and cancer
Refresh Your Life Now
Bethel, CT 06801, 203 216 6889
Like us on Facebook, facebook.com/refreshyourlifenow
Follow us on Twitter, @bgsuperfoods
Barbara Greenhouse shares her passions of Food, "Cooking", Cruelty-Free, Ahimsa, the Nutrition and Health Connection, and the Sharing of supressed Information for a healthy and informed world. She guides her clients through their journey to live their deepest dreams, simply and holistically, with compassion and by incorporating some delicious live raw whole foods, fruits and vegetables. She is currently authoring her first book, "Sacred You, The Delicious Journey"® - © copyright Refresh Your Life Now - 2013 Connecticut, USA
Why Manage Life? Live It! ® Refresh to the Good Life! ®